Our New Project Checklist can help you get started with project data management on ESS-DIVE. Make a copy of this google docs version of the checklist to customize steps needed for your project.
First Steps as a New Project on ESS-DIVE
1. Make sure your project is approved to store data on ESS-DIVE
- DOE ESS Program Funded Projects: Your project is automatically approved to submit data on ESS-DIVE. You can verify your project is listed and the information is up-to-date within the Project Search. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if any information is incorrect or out-of-date.
- Projects from all other sources: If your project provides scientific benefit to the ESS community, please fill out the Non-ESS Project Data form to request permission to upload data.
2. Inform project team members to get access to submit data to ESS-DIVE
- PIs and project team members need to register as Data Contributors to submit data.
- Sign-up for our Mailing List to receive updates on new features, training events, and webinars.
3. Share guides with your Data Contributors on how to submit data to ESS-DIVE
- Review the Data Submission Guidelines for steps to prepare, format, and submit datasets to ESS-DIVE.
- Consider using ESS-DIVE’s reporting formats early on in project development to make planning data collection easier, enable greater reuse and accessibility of project data, and enable future synthesis and advanced searching on ESS-DIVE. Our Checklist for Describing and Formatting Datasets provides steps for choosing relevant formats.
4. Collect and share project data with project members and others
- Consider creating a project Data Portal*, which is a collection of datasets in a unique webpage for your project. You can add contextual information about the project, view collective metrics for all datasets included, and easily share project data. Review our step-by-step guide on creating and publishing a data portal. You can create data portals at any time, even before submitting data.
5. RECOMMENDED: Designate project data managers for your project data on ESS-DIVE
- A Project Data Manager is a role that PIs can assign someone to grant them access to their “My Project” page and to create teams for their project. Consider using teams to share permissions to view private or edit datasets/data portals with groups of people all at once.
For Principal Investigators (PIs)**:
- Make sure you are a registered Data Contributor.
- Determine who should be a Project Data Manager and instruct them to register as ESS-DIVE Data Contributors, if they have not done so already.
- Fill out the Project Data Manager form to request to add Project Data Managers to your project.
- Tip! You can also use this form to indicate whether someone is a Co-PI or a regular data manager. This is useful if you noticed your project info is missing a PI(s) or you’d like ESS-DIVE to differentiate between lead PIs and Co-PIs.
- Let your new Project Data Managers know that they can now contact ESS-DIVE to make changes to the list of project data managers assigned to your project.
* Required to register as a data contributor to use this feature
** Only Principal Investigators (PIs) can assign project data managers at first
If you have questions about getting started with ESS-DIVE, please contact us at email@example.com.