ESS-DIVE stores “data packages,” which are best described as a collection of related data files and metadata. These may be data from a sensor or a network of sensors, data from a field campaign or experiment, software for analysis or modeling, model setup and results.
If you are storing data from a DOE ESS project, you can register as a new data contributor. Otherwise, you will need to request permission to store data on ESS-DIVE.
How to Upload Data Using ESS-DIVE
- Organize the data package, and upload it to the repository via the ESS-DIVE Data Portal or automated scripts using the ESS-DIVE Package Service API.
- Specify package metadata, including author and citation information, and links to publications or related data packages, and submit the data package. This information can be updated at a later date.
- Review the data package to see how it will appear on the data portal before requesting publication. View the Automated Quality Report to ensure that the metadata meet the ESS-DIVE publication criteria. Upon completion, request to Publish the data package.
- The ESS-DIVE team will review the data package and assign a digital object identifier upon acceptance for publication. Requests can also be made to reserve a DOI prior to data publication.
- Published data packages can be revised as needed.